Monday, February 2, 2009

Medicate or Not to Medicate

I have a kid who's not all there and I say that in the most loving way. In preschool we knew something wasn't right but no one would listen. She was our first born so we didn't have any other kids to compare her to until her little brother's personality came out. I know you shouldn't compare your kids but we kept thinking; he doesn't do that, he doesn't act like that, and who in the world does things like that? Things that make you go hmmmm.


One day Madison's Kindergarten teacher told us that she would recommend we get her tested. She wouldn't say for what, so not to offend, just that she was "different" than the other kids. A friend of mine mentioned that she might have Aspergers Syndrome. What the hell is that? I went home and Googled it. Autism? Are you kidding me? My daughter may have autism? No way, uh-huh, not my daughter. I did the Aspergers checklist. Check, Check, Check-Check. I called her pediatrician and we made an appointment with Children's Hospital. That was in the Spring of 2007. She was diagnosed with ADHD, sensory processing issues with tactile defensiveness, oral excessiveness with the need for motor input. What do we do with that information?


Medicate. We took the easy way. My husband told the pediatrician, "One of us is walking out of here with medication, either her or me". After using her as a test mouse, adjusting her medication to find the right dose; if she turned into a zombie we over medicated, if she didn't keep her attention longer during the day we under medicated. We hated it. Dealing with the side effects, stomachaches and nightmares. It was awful.


Recently, we met with a chiropractor (our son's best buddy's dad) and he explained the reasons why she shouldn't be medicated and to go a more "natural" way. We see his point and we're willing to try. After talking to us, he feels that she does have some autistic traits. We agree. There's just more to her than what Children's Hospital evaluation states. Being medicated has it's pros and cons and last week we took her off her meds and we remembered all the pros. She is driving me friggin' nuts. Yes, we did take the easy way out with one pill. Now, she's being adjusted three times a week, we changed her diet, and she takes 19 vitamins & minerals daily. Part of those capsules are detoxing her body.


Dad needs medication now. LOL. Which brings us back to our original problem. I'll keep you updated on her progress while I go insane.

4 comments:

  1. I am so praying for you guys Patty! Every night you guys are on top of my prayer list! I'll bring Lances medication over tonight! Does he like Flat Tire or Alaskan? Six pack or a Case! Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're not alone! i want to medicate ALL of my kids...! I do agree with your chiroprator. I think our kids are full of junk that kids years ago didn't have to deal with. Diet is so important, i just wish i could afford to cook healthier. Send me the name of your doc, i need an adjustment. Madison is such a good kid. You will all pull through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca....I am her doctors wife and I can tell you you can afford to cook healthier! I know organic is $$ we eat almost entirely organic, but we can show you how to feed your kids on a tighter budget! My sister in law is a single mom and she does the best she can, which is better then what most people not on a budget do! I don't want to push my hubby on you or high jack Pattys blog...so if Patty gives me the OK I will give you his office info or you can get it from Patty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! I'm suprised you put all of this on your blog, but I'm proud of you!! Do you think she's better since you changed her diet and started all the vitamins?? I don't think it's worth you and Lances sanity to take her off the meds!! You both have a lot going on as it is without taking Madison off her meds. I will definitely pray for you and that you'll make the right decision!! Text me soon!!

    ReplyDelete